The Road To Hana

The Hana highway is in Maui, Hawaii, and has 620 curvy switchbacks and 59 bridges. I've never driven on it, but I've heard the term "The Road To Hana". I looked it up today to get an idea of what people mean when they use that term. Hawaii has a rich Japanese culture and they are the second largest ethnic group residing there. The Japanese translation of Hana is "flower blossom". This legendary road is 52 miles. From an article I found online: 

"The road leads you through flourishing rainforests, flowing waterfalls, plunging pools and dramatic seascapes.  Please keep in mind that you’ll encounter challenging turns and narrow bridges along the way, so it’s important to exercise caution and take your time.  There  are plenty of opportunities to stop and enjoy the lovely views, so get an early start and take your time on your drive. While it’s all about the journey, once you reach the beautiful and quiet town of Hana, you’ll see why it’s worth the trip."

There are many end goals that I have in my mind that are my Hana. I love gardening and watching the patience of a flower blossom. When it first pokes through the ground, that had been frozen over, during winter. It is slow and doesn't even bloom until the stem is strong enough to hold it's heavy blossom. The stem must know that it's the biggest support of the most precious thing that many bees will visit and harsh weather conditions challenge. I have a hard time cutting back my garden tulips when they have served their purpose and start retracting. They wither down and become dry. They shrivel their form and lose vitality. They lay there on the ground with no color to them. Their energy has gone back down into their bulb to wait for another spring when it's their turn to shine. This is how I view my relationship with Joe right now. He is my stem. My strength to help me through my curvy road. Our relationship has retracted to it's bulb to regain strength for another season. He is worth my road trip to Hana and you all will learn why.


My garden Tulips

After the Tulips are cut back when spring is over


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reach

Healing

Remembering You on Your Birthday, Brother