Luke's Birth. My Mom's Letter To Me

After work today I dug through old binders and folders looking for a letter that I know Aaron had written to me when I lived in Switzerland. I couldn't find it. This post was going to be titled "Identity Crisis", but I found a letter that my mom had written me, and funny enough, it is about Luke's birth. I should just take a picture of it but I'm typing it as to burn it into my mind. It's fun to get another perspective and what my mom said about it. I forgot about the hot cloths on her back just before she pushed Luke out.

"My Dearest Daughter Shantell,
......
    Many times I have wondered how I have been so lucky to have you. I remember you helped me when I was having Luke. When everyone else left, my little friend only 4 years old (mom's forget kids years. It's ok. I was actually 6.5). You stayed and put cloths on my back for 8 hours. Your tiny little hands rubbing my back. "Does that help mommy?" you would say. I was afraid you would get tired and leave me too, but you didn't. Not for more than 5 minutes. I know that is why Luke's birth was so beautiful. You helped bring the spirit of the Lord into that room and I know all our Grandmothers who had passed on got to know you that day. Your hair was half up and you had a pink top on with a picture on it with matching pants. Your little cowlick made your fringe (bangs) part on the one side. Your little sleeves got wet with water from the cloths so you just rolled up them sleeves and got back to work. Remember the midwife said to get the cloths as hot as you could. Oh my goodness. Your little hands, love. Push Mummy. Push. I can see it Mummy, I can see it. Push! Then you ran beside Marcus, who looked like death warmed up. He rested his hands on your tiny shoulders to steady himself. You could only hold still for a moment and then you were right there again with your eyes as big as saucers. You know, when I asked you the next day what you thought and if it scared you. You said "No". I asked if it looked sick or if you thought it was gross. We laughed so hard when you screwed up your little face and said "Oh Mummy, well what was gross is you had hair growing under your arms." We laughed so hard for days at you. I pray you always remember the strong heart of that little angel. When you get to hard parts of your life and Satan says stop, may you always say "No. No! I will always serve the Lord where or when He needs me. I will not stop. Not ever. Because I know you have a special call in this life. I have watched you in training. You will and are a great leader. Not a follower. I love you Shantell. With all my being. Remember who you are at all times. Love, your Mum"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Reach

Healing

Remembering You on Your Birthday, Brother